Engineering and Design
Director of Engineering and Design
Columbia Falls, MT
Job Title: Project Engineer
Department: Engineering and Design
Date: February 2021
Position: Fulltime, non-exempt
SmartLam North America is a leader in Mass Timber and Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) solutions. With two manufacturing plants we are providing Mass Timber solutions on projects throughout the US and Canada. The Engineering and Design Team is at the forefront of delivery these projects which is requiring us to grow. We need energetic, motivated and talented people to helps us provide solutions and successfully deliver projects to our customers.
The Project Engineer is accountable for supporting the Engineering and Design department to ensure that Mass Timber projects are completed accurately and are issued for review, fabrication and construction in a timely manner. The primary objectives are to design for optimal manufacturing and assembly (DfMA) and ensuring that SmartLam North America’s high level of service is provided on every project. Starting position level will be determined based on experience and abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Engineering design and detailing of Mass Timber projects to include, but not limited to, Specialty Structural Engineering services, Consulting, Preliminary Project Engineering, Design Assistance support to EOR and Deferred Engineering submittals.
• FEA modeling, analysis and design of Mass Timber projects using Dlubal FEA Software and custom tools.
• Develop clear and organized engineering calculation packages.
• Technical expertise in Mass Timber products, engineering concepts, and detailing.
• Complete take-offs and order of fasteners, hangers, brackets and other miscellaneous components that are part of the Mass Timber installation package.
• Support the department with the development of technical documents, white papers, and calculations templates.
• Support Sales staff with technical review of project, preliminary designs, documentation and client management.
• Support Project Managers with the successful delivery of sold Mass Timber projects.
• Support Research and Development with technical document review, testing, and product development
• Support Design-Drafting staff with the development of Mass Timber submittal drawings, shop drawings, and production drawings.
• Coordinate project information with project design team (architect, engineer, contractor).
• Manage and Track project RFI’s
Required Skills & Experience
• B.S. in Engineering – Structural Emphasis Preferred
• Experienced with wood design, construction methodology and detailing.
• Experience preparing and reading construction documents and project manuals.
• Experience in FEA software
• Experience in AutoCAD
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products
• Highly organized, accurate and detailed.
• Self-motivated, energetic and a quick learner
• Able to work well with others in a team environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Skills & Experience
• 2+ years experience in building engineering (structural) and project management.
• Mass Timber engineering and detailing experience
• Experience with CadWork and/or Revit Software – BIM Modeling