The Production Manager leads the planning, scheduling and execution of all manufacturing operations within the plant. He/she is responsible for cost-effective planning, processing, production and shipping of CLT and related mass timber components. This role will be the direct manager for each Shift Supervisor. The Production Manager contributes to the success of SmartLam North America by ensuring projects are produced on-time, within budget, with the highest quality and uncompromising safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Training and development of plant machine center operators and support staff to create effective teams and efficient shift production
• Converts design team outputs into work orders and schedules to meet customer demands
• Communicates with project managers to understand project priorities and schedule production accordingly.
• Works with Maintenance Superintendent to accommodate routine and annual maintenance activities.
• Ensure efficient production scheduling to achieve plant production targets.
• Identifies opportunities for cost control and works to implement them with support from Plant Manager.
• Focused on ongoing process improvement.
• Ensures production is carried out according to high quality standards set forth by the company and project team.
• Promotes a safe working environment at all times.
• Manages collection and reporting of production data, KPI’s etc. to support routine dashboards and special reports as required by Plant Manager.
• Operates with transparency and earns trust at all levels through communication and actions.
Required Skills & Experience
• Technical knowledge of manufacturing processes and equipment, both mechanical and electrical.
• Proficient with MS Office suite, Gantt charting, cloud-based project management applications and related tools and technologies.
• Excellent written and verbal communication.
• High attention to detail.
• Creative problem solver.
• Positive attitude with a track record of delivering results
• 5+ years of managerial experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably wood processing.
• Self-motivated with strong ability to multitask and operate with minimal supervision.
• Ability to motivate, manage, and develop people of all skill levels effectively.
Preferred Skills & Experience
• Bachelor’s or Associate degree in engineering or related technical field preferred.