The Production Supervisor manages all operators and production activities on the plant floor during their designated shift. He/she is responsible for meeting shift targets for scheduled production and shipping of CLT, GLT and related components. This role will be the direct manager for each operator at each machine center, with >90% of his/her time spent on the factory floor overseeing operations and lending guidance and support where needed. The Production Supervisor contributes to the success of SmartLam North America by ensuring scheduled work is produced on-time, within budgetary constraints, with the highest quality and uncompromising safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, training and development of plant machine center operators and support staff to create effective teams and efficient shift production
• Motivates personnel to achieve rigorous production targets
• Communicates with Project Managers and Production Manager for status updates and production reports
• Immediately raises awareness regarding quality and schedule risks which may impact customers
• Fosters strong working relationship with Maintenance Team to enable immediate support for equipment issues
• Ensures production is carried out in a safe and efficient manner with a high level of quality
• Identifies opportunities for cost control and ongoing process improvement
• Effectively implements cost reduction initiatives
• Maintains high standards for a safe working environment at all times, trains others and enforces policies
• Conducts annual reviews of all direct reports with support from Plant Manager and HR
• Ensures operators have the information, tools and resources necessary to meet production requirements
• Operates with transparency and earns trust at all levels through communication and actions
• Maintains excellent time and attendance record, and holds direct reports to the same standard
Required Skills & Experience
• Technical knowledge of manufacturing processes and equipment, both mechanical and electrical.
• 2+ years of experience supervising people in a manufacturing environment, preferably wood processing.
• Capable of operating and training individuals on all tools and equipment centers
• Strong written and verbal communication.
• Creative problem solver
• Positive attitude with a track record of delivering results
• Proficient with computers and MS Office Suite
• Maintains strong understanding of product standards including APA-PRG-320
• Maintains strong understanding of all manufacturing and related SOPs associated with their supervisory duties
• Capable of operating effectively during periods of high stress with aggressive deadlines.
• Deescalate conflicts when needed.
• Self-motivated and operates with minimal supervision.
• Ability to motivate, manage, and develop people of all skill levels effectively.
• Trained in health and safety areas such as first aid, CPR, AED