Mass Timber Project Engineer I, II
Engineering and Design
Director of Engineering and Design
Columbia Falls, MT
Job Title: Mass Timber Project Engineer I, II
Department: Engineering and Design
Date: February 2020
Position: Fulltime, non-exempt
Mass Timber Project Engineer is accountable for supporting the Engineering and Design department to ensure that Mass Timber projects are completed accurately and are issued for review, fabrication and construction in a timely manner. The primary objectives are to design for optimal manufacturing and assembly (DfMA) and ensuring that SmartLam’s high level of service is provided on every project. Starting position level will be determined based on experience and abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Engineering design and detailing on Mass Timber projects to include, but not limited to, preliminary engineering, design assist support and deferred submittals.
• FEA modeling, analysis and design of Mass Timber projects using Dlubal FEA Software
• Develop clear and organized engineering calculation packages.
• Technical expertise with Mass Timber products, engineering concepts, and detailing.
• Complete take-offs and order of fasteners, hangers, brackets and other miscellaneous components that are part of the Mass Timber installation package.
• Support Engineering staff with the development of technical documents, white papers, and calculations templates.
• Support Sales staff with technical review, documentation and client management.
• Support Project Managers with the successful delivery of mass timber projects.
• Support Research and Development with technical review, documentation and client management.
• Support Design staff with the development of Mass Timber submittal drawings, shop drawings, and production drawings.
• Support Quality Control/Quality Assurance process on project submittals prior to delivery for submittal review, production and construction.
• Coordinate project information with project design team (architect, engineer, contractor).
• Manage and Track project RFI’s
Required Skills & Experience
• B.S. in Engineering – Structural Emphasis Preferred
• 2+ years experience in building engineering (structural)
• Experienced with mass timber (wood) design and construction
• Experience reading blueprints and project manuals
• Experience in FEA software
• Experience in AutoCAD (2D or 3D)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products
• Highly organized and detailed
• Able to work well with others in a team environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Skills & Experience
• Masters Degree with Mass Timber (Structural) emphasis
• Professional Engineer License
• Experience with CadWork and Revit Software – BIM Modeling