Mass Timber Designer I or II
Engineering and Design
Director of Engineering and Design
Columbia Falls, MT
Job Title: Mass Timber Designer I or II
Department: Engineering and Design
Date: February 2020
Position: Fulltime, non-exempt
Mass Timber Designer is accountable for supporting the Engineering and Design department to ensure that Mass Timber projects are completed accurately and are issued for review, fabrication and construction in a timely manner. The primary objectives are to design for optimal manufacturing and assembly (DfMA) and ensuring that SmartLam’s high level of service is provided on every project. Starting position level will be determined based on experience and abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design and draft in 2D/3D CadWork, Auto-CAD, and Revit.
• Develop Mass Timber submittal drawings, shop drawings, and production drawings using CadWork software and other tools.
• Nest Mass Timber project for production
• Support CNC operators with exporting BTL, BVX or other machine files.
• Provide necessary data to the production team for the manufacturing of CLT and GL components.
• Develop miscellaneous steel submittal and fabrication drawings. Importing and exporting steel components using IFC and STEP files will be necessary.
• Support the maintenance and implementation of drafting standards for ALL drafting software being utilized.
• Utilizing CadWork software, support Sales and Project Management teams with project estimating, take-off’s, lists, etc.
• Project design fee estimations and scheduling.
• Coordinate project information with design team – internal and external
• Manage and Track project RFI’s
• Support Quality Control review of all projects prior to delivery for submittal review or production.
Required Skills & Experience
• 2 year Associate Degree in Computer Aided Drafting or equivalent.
• 2+ years experience in building or manufacturing drafting
• Experience reading blueprints and project manuals
• Experienced with Mass Timber design and construction
• Experience in CadWork production software
• Experience in AutoCAD (2D & 3D), Revit and Building Information Modeling (BIM) software.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products
• Highly organized and detailed
• Able to work well with others in a team environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Skills & Experience
• Understanding of Structural Engineering principals
• Mass Timber Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DfMA) experience.
• Proficient in AutoCAD and Revit
• Proficient in CadWork
• Understanding of import/export function of production software to large format CNC machines.
• Understanding of import/export function of various file formats to CadWork software (e.g.: .ifc, STEP, .dwg, etc.)
• Experience with Nesting software