Smartlam North America is a leader in Mass Timber and Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) solutions. With two manufacturing plants we are providing Mass Timber solutions on projects throughout the US and into Canada. The Engineering and Design Team is at the forefront of delivery these projects which is requiring us to grow. We need energetic, motivated and talented people to helps us provide solutions and successfully deliver projects to our customers.
Designer-Drafter role is accountable for supporting the Engineering and Design department to ensure that Mass Timber projects are completed accurately and are issued for review, fabrication and construction in a timely manner. The primary objectives are to design for optimal manufacturing and assembly (DfMA) and ensuring that SmartLam North America’s high level of service is provided on every project. Starting position level will be determined based on experience and abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and Draft Mass Timber projects in 2D/3D CadWork, Auto-CAD, and Revit.
- Develop Mass Timber submittal drawings, shop drawings, and production drawings using CadWork software and other tools.
- Provide necessary files and details to the production team for the manufacturing of CLT and GL components.
- Support CNC operators with exporting BTL, BVX or other machine files.
- Develop miscellaneous steel submittal and fabrication drawings. Importing and exporting steel components using IFC and STEP files will be necessary.
- Support the maintenance and implementation of drafting standards for ALL drafting software being utilized.
- Support the development and maintenance of typical details, Revit families and other assembly drawings.
- Utilizing various drafting software, support Sales and Project Management teams with project estimating and take-offs.
- Host video conference meetings to present 3D model to Design Teams.
- Manage and Track project RFI’s
- Support Quality Control review of all projects prior to delivery for submittal review or production.
Required Skills & Experience
- 2 year Associate Degree in Computer Aided Drafting or equivalent.
- 2+ years experience in architectural or structural drafting using Revit or other 3D modeling software.
- Experience preparing and reading construction documents and project manuals.
- Experience with other drafting software such as AutoCAD (2D & 3D), Rhino and Building Information Modeling (BIM) software.
- Experience preparing, reading and interpreting construction documents.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products
- Highly organized, accurate and detailed
- Self-motivated, energetic, and a quick learner
- Able to work well with others in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Proficient understanding of building construction, detailing and structural systems.
- Mass Timber Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DfMA) experience.
- Experience in CadWork or equivalent production software.
- Understanding of import/export function of production software to large format CNC machines.
- Understanding of import/export function of various file formats to CadWork software (e.g.: .ifc, STEP, .dxf, etc.)